Builder: Casavant Freres Ltée (Opus 4837, 2005)

Manuals: 2

Stops: 33

Ranks: 23

Pipes: 1292

Action: Electro-pneumatic

--Information and photo from Casavant Freres, Tom Erickson, Representative.

Last Update: 2009



GREAT ORGAN

16 Bourdon (Ext.)

8 Principal

8 Chimney Flute

8 Flûtes Célestes II

4 Octave

4 Open Flute

2-2/3 Nazard (TC)

2 Italian Principal

1-3/5 Tierce (TC)

2 Fourniture II-IV

16 Bassoon (Sw.)

8 Trompette

8 Oboe (Sw.)

Tremulant


SWELL ORGAN

8 Major Flute

8 Viole de gambe

8 Voix Céleste (TC)

4 Principal

4 Spindle Flute (ext.)

2 Doublette

1-1/3 Quint

16 Bassoon (ext.)

8 Trompette (Gt.)

8 Oboe

Tremulant

First Presbyterian Church

503 West Sixth Street

Red Wing, MN 55066

PEDAL ORGAN

32 Resultant

16 Principal

16 Bourdon (Gt.)

8 Principal (ext.)

8 Chimney Flute (Gt.)

4 Octave

4 Spindle Flute (Sw.)

16 Bassoon (Sw.)

8 Trompette (Gt.)

4 Oboe (Sw.)

Organ_Index.html
See the list of organ specificationsOrgan_Index.html

Additional information and corrections to this organ profile are gratefully received by:                  

Richard C Greene, Organ list manager

739 Como Ave

Saint Paul, MN 55103

rgreene@me.com

The congregation of First Presbyterian Church in Red Wing traces its history to 1848 when members began worshiping together as a church. The group incorporated on January 13, 1855 and built a church two years later. Unfortunately a fire destroyed the 1857 building on May 24, 2002. Until then, the building had been recognized as being the oldest church in continuous use in Goodhue County.


Discussions regarding building a new organ began at the same time that the architectural plans were being developed. The new organ occupies a central position at the back of the chancel similar to the pipe organ that was destroyed in the fire, as did the congregation’s first pipe organ, built in the nineteenth century.


The new instrument has rift-cut oak casework designed with Gothic details that were taken from the tracery of one of the church’s large stained glass window that sustained major damage in the fire. Colors used for the polychrome detailing of the moldings and in the acoustically transparent areas behind the quatrefoils in the front of the case were taken from colors found in the same window. Other woodwork details include significant moldings, raised field paneling at the base and grooved panels on the two upper side walls that replicate the style of vertical wood paneling in the wainscot. The top of the case has decorative Gothic cresting at the front and sides. The Gothic arched mouths of the façade pipes are highlighted in gold.


The intimate space did not require a large instrument or one with significant power. What was needed was an organ with rich color and resources for use in the variety of roles that the instrument is called to fill. In order to provide the instrument with considerable flexibility for a two manual instrument, both manual divisions are expressive. Since the normal open position of expression shades on Casavant organs is ninety degrees, there is no obstruction to the sound of the division, therefore the expression enclosure functions in the same manner

as an organ case when the expression shades are in the open position. The organ façade is drawn from the two eight-foot principal stops in the Great and Pedal divisions. The center section of the case contains the pipes from the Pedal Principal 16’, the lowest pitches of which are open wood pipes that are mounted horizontally on the top of the organ case behind the decorative woodwork.